Quizzes / In Class Writing / Participation / Attendance: 10%
• A variety of in-class assignments & activities meant to measure student engagement
Close Reading Number 1: 10%
• A 2 page close reading assignment focusing on literary analysis of a course text.
Close Reading Number 2: 10%
• A 2 page close reading assignment focusing on literary analysis of a course text and an additional primary source.
Close Reading Number 3: 10%
• A 2 page close reading assignment focusing on a literary analysis of a course text and the use of a low stakes digital humanities tool.
Final Essay Exam: 10%
• An in-class essay where students will reflect on course themes, a primary text of their choice, and their time in the class.
Argumentative Essay and Digital Humanities Project: 50% total
A 2 page paper proposing a topic and method for a paper exploring one of the three novels we’ll read this semester and culminating in a 5 page paper and a low-stakes digital humanities project. The paper and digital humanities project is driven by close reading, primary research, and secondary research.
Drawing on their proposal students will write a bibliographic essay that highlights a selection of primary and secondary sources related to their proposed project.
A 5 page argumentative paper utilizing close reading skills and primary and secondary research.
A low stakes digital humanities project where students use a tool / presentation method of their choice of to create a public facing project. This assignment includes a 2 page discussion and reflection on their project.